Thursday, May 21, 2009

Nas - Untitled (Album Review) [Top 5 of 2008]

Ok so I'm finally on my last review for the Top 5 of 2008. I apologize for how long it took, I've just been really busy with school and these reviews are almost like writing a paper. Early on Nas announced this album would be called the N word. I was very surprised. I thought it was a great Idea and would bring him a lot of publicity. Apparently it brought enough that Def Jam deemed the title too controversial so nas changed it to Untitled. The album still has the same content that he planned on having though. The whole album deals with racial issues. It's a great album and it proves Nas is still one of the best rappers ever, period.



1. Queens Get The Money

The album starts with this great opener. The only problem I have with it is the length. I woulda loved it to be a little longer. But whatever album openers usually aren't that long. This song basically gives us a summary of what the album is going to be about.

"This is high science Now add 23 more
For Queens to be more I’m over they heads
Like a bulimic on a see-saw
Now that’s 50 porch monkeys ate up at the same time
Nasty NASDAQ Ya'll gonna bow holmes This is DOW Jones
80 cal. chrome Needed time alone To zone
The Mack left his iPhone And his nine at home"


8/10

2. You Can't Stop Us Now (feat. Eban Thomas)

As soon as I heard this song I thought of the RZA song which used the same sample. This song is about black history and some of the racist things that went on.

"We act like we home
Matter fact, we are home
Bad attitude Octaroon skin tones
Slave food turned to soul food
Collards and neck bones
Betsy Ross sewed the first American flag
Bet she had a n!gga with her to help her old ass"


8.5/10

3. Breathe

This song is about growing up in the hood and making it out. Nothing really mind blowing here but its a good song nonetheless.

"Icewear gaudy, since '94 flossy
The Lex was an excellent choice
Now fast forward me
The pestilence of the ghetto informed me
As a shorty, to push nothin' less than a 740"


7.5/10

4. Make the World Go Round (feat. The Game & Chris Brown)

This song is your quintesseintial single (it ended up being his 2nd main single). I've never been a fan of Chris Brown but he's alright in this song. Originally Nas said that he recorded 2 Game songs for this album. Most likely it was this song and "Letter to the King" which ended up on Game's album, L.A.X. That song fits way better with the theme of this album. I don't know why they chose this song for the Untitled.

"You hate me Should thank me
But lately I burned so much trees
I keep environmentalists angry
I'm a rare dude, I'm a wonder
Your best success is my worst blunder"


7/10

5. Hero (feat. Keri Hilson)

This is one of my favorite Nas songs since Made You Look. It is hands down his best first single in a while. Polow Da Don gave nas a gem. I can't believe this video and song didn't blow up. It was even made the official single for Hulk and used in a lot of Heroes promos.. This song is basically what the title says, being a Hero. Nas is a Hero to rap because he doesn't sell out and continues to make music he believes in. My favorite part is where he speaks on them making him change the title.

"So untitled it is
I never change nothin'
But people remember this
If Nas can't say it,
think about these talented kids
With new ideas being told
what they can and can't spit
"


10/10

6. America

Here is another high point of the album. Nas drops a lot of knowledge once again. On the first verse he talks about growing up in the hood and getting out. Second verse he talks about Black's and their jobs. And the third verse he talks about Women's Black history.

"Assassinations
Diplomatic relations
Killed indigenous people
Built a new nation
Involuntary labor
Took a knife split a woman naval
Took her premature baby
Let her man see you rape her"


9/10

7. Sly Fox

This is another one of my favorite songs from the album. Nas talks about all the bullshit going on in Television News, most notably, Fox News. They say their fair and balanced but their major audience is Repulicans.

"The Fear Factor got you all rattled up
O' Reilly Oh really?
No rally needed I'll tie you up
Network for child predators, settin' 'em up
Myspace pimps, hoes, and sluts
Ya'll exploit rap culture, then ya'll flip on us
And you own the post, and ya'll shit on us"


9.5/10

8. Testify

This song is Nas talking to his white fans. He's asking if we would Testify for him if he killed white supremists. It's a short song but it gets his point across.

"I just burnt my American flag
And sent three cracker Nazi's to hell and I'm sad
Uh, I'm loading tefs in my mag
To send these red neck bigots some death in a bag
Choke him out with his confederate flag; I know these devils are mad
Little rap fans that live way out in safe suburbia
Would you stand with me, a United States murderer?
Huh?"


8/10

9. N.I.G.G.E.R (The Slave and the Master)

This song is about History not acknowledging people in the ghetto as well as rappers.

"When I rap about war,
They got the tendency to scatter,
They ain't my backup no more,
So now my enemies are at my front door,
Cause any time we mention Our condition,
our history or existence, They calling it reverse racism,
Still till today the street's torn,
My brother Jungle always have a seat for 'em
Not behind me beside me You'll always know where to find me"


8.5/10

10. Untitled

In this song Nas talks about him being a revolutionary and being shot down by the government. Really great concept and really great song.

"You won't remember why they came to clip me
When time go by you'll soon forget me
They say he was the king of bling, jewels, and Bentley's
Then I use one of my lines just to prove I'm guilty
Don't let' em kill me..."


8.5/10

11.Fried Chicken (feat. Busta Rhymes)

Here is another one of my favorite songs on the album. Nas and Busta talk about Fried Chicken like it were a female. Instead of talking down on the racial stereotype of blacks eating fried chicken they embrace it.

"Then you rub on with hot oil for half an hour
You in your hot tub, I'm looking at you salivating
Dry you off, I got your paper towel waiting
Lay you down cause you're red hot
Louisiana style you make my head rot
Then I flock To the bed then, "Plop"
When we done, I need rest
Don't know a part of you that I love best
Your legs or your breast"


9/10

12. Project Roach (feat. The Last Poets)

In this song Nas raps as if he were a Roach in the projects. It's another great concept song.

"Ugh yeah yo I'm creepy and crawling
In your sink or your toilet
I'll be drinking from your spit
Anything cause I'm more less an insect with 4 legs
People come and I fake dead
Correction I got 8 legs
Climbin on top your plate bed"


8/10

13. Y'all My N!ggas

In this song Nas talks about the word "nigga" and how it is viewed in todays society. I love how the title of the song tricks you. When you look at the title you think the song will be about something totally different.

"Tryin to erase me from y'all memory
Too late I'm engraved in history (I'm here my niggas)
Speak my name and breath life in me
Make sure y'all never forget me (cuz y'all give me life)
Cause y'all use my name so reckless
Whether to be accepted or disrespected (and I love it)
And I love it especially when y'all do it in public
And I'm the subject
Cause y'all my niggas"


8.5/10

14. We're Not Alone (feat. Mykel)

This song is talking about life on other planets. Its talking about the potential struggle we might have one day. Harsh Racism could potentially happen again if they were found.

"I'ma tell you what I seen with my three eyes
Word to me, not a hoax, back in 9-9
A spacecraft in the skyline
In L.A., in daytime, ask Horse if I'm lying"


9/10

15. Black President

This song is talking about a Black President. Tupac once said "And tho it seems heaven sent we aint ready to have a black president." Over a decade later we now have one.

"What's the black pres. thinkin' on election night
Is it how can I protect my life?
Protect my wife?
Protect my rights?
Every other president was nothin' less than white"


8.5/10

Final Score:

8.5/10

==Music Videos==

Be a N!gger Too*



* This song was originally going to be on the album. They couldn't get the sample cleared because it was used in an old Dr Pepper commercial.

Hero (feat. Keri Hilson)



Sly Fox



Make the World Go Round (feat. The Game & Chris Brown)



Y'all My N!ggas



==Bonus Tracks==

I made a Bonus CD of all the tracks that were meant for the album that leaked in NODJ that didn't make it.I also added Election Night, a song that came out the night Obama would be elected as president if he won. Middle Finger is a dope cut from David Banner's album that came out around the same time as Untitled.

[http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4X8WCQ70]

1.Like Me (UK Bonus Track)
2.N!gger Hatred
3.Be a N!gger Too
4.Association (feat. stic.man)
5.Esco Let's Go
6.Election Night
7.Fear of Mandingo
8.Middle Finger (feat. David Banner)


Previous Top 5 of 2008 Reviews


Pacewon & Mr. Green - The Only Color that Matters is Green

Flo Rida - Mail on Sunday

Kanye West - 808's and Heartbreaks

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment