Friday, April 3, 2009

Album Review: Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons..[Top 5 of 2008]

Sorry about the delay these reviews take forever and I've been so busy with work and school. Anyways here's the fourth reivew for Top 5 of 2008. The album I'm reviewing is Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold. First off let me say all the beats on the cd are great, there's not a beat I don't like. Ant was on point with his beats! The album as a whole is very decent. Only reason I heard this cd is because I kept seeing it promoted and praised everywhere through myspace and forums and I figured I would give it a try. I was so glad I did. Anyways on to the review...




1. Like The Rest of Us


This track is about being stuck in your ways. Being stuck working a 9-5 or whatever you gotta do to support your family.

"See I've been here for thirty-some years
Lookin' at myself in the same dirty mirror
So it ain't like I don't comprehend
Open that bottle, swallow that friend"

8/10

2.Puppets

This track has Slug talking about a guy who lives a rockstar life but never quite makes it.

"i think its great how you used to be great
i cant hate on how you choose to relate
but i know that you had the potential
i understand why you wanted to let go
a lot of pressure in the middle of those shoulders
and we aint gettin nothin but older"

8.5/10.

3.The Skinny

At the beginning of the track Slug says "This is for all those tricks and hos." It pretty much sums up what this song is about. Slug goes into detail about what people think about these "tricks and hos"

"He don't care about your stats or background
He ain't picky once he puts his mac down
Make you suck it all the way to the ass now
Cause all of y'all heiffers are cash cows"

8.5/10

4.Dreamer

This song is about a Teenage girl that gets pregnant from her boyfriend that only wanted her virginity. Really great song and really great storytelling.

"She got a condition of the heart
A heart condition
So as a kid she had to adapt to smarter living
Not much room to rebel because of health
No drugs, no booze, just kiss and tell
Well known on the scene
Jailbait queen
Had the first baby barely eighteen
Father of the child was after one thing
When the daughter came the dad was unseen"

9.5/10

5.Shoulda Known

To me this song is about a guy dating a drug attic girl. It could also be a song about the drug taling about the girl. Anyways it's pretty dope.

"I've got a restraining order
Against Satan's daughter
And I keep it at the bottom of this Jamison and water
And when we get there
You can sit there and stare
From behind your mascara and your thick hair
I'm aware of that pain you harbor
The same negative game to the names you martyr"

8.5/10

6.You

This is one of my favorite songs on the cd. I love the beat so much. The song is about a girl working at a restraunt. It really can pertain with working anywhere though. I deal with many of the same shit here at my job.

"You just got off work, huh?
Another night feeling like the worst one.
You didn't even count your tips yet,
But you can tell that it ain't no big step.
I don't see why you so nice to customers
They're all fucks and low lives.
But don't fight, just keep the lip stiff
And get that money it's the weekend shift."

10/10

7.Painting

This track is talking about regretting the past. Theres nothing you can ever do to change what happened. Its still gonna stay there in the back of your mind even after you try to forget it. Great song, great story telling. I love how he begins each verse with"Ain't no colour paint gonna cover the stains."

"Ain't no colour paint gonna cover the stains
The pictures on the wall will all remain
And even though he's home now sounding safe
Surrounded by the faces that he place his faith"

9.5/10

8.Your Glasshouse

This song is about waking up somewhere unfamilar with a hangover. Another really great song.

"How'd ya get from the bar to this matress,
and when ya got here then what happened?
And where's the who that lives here in this house
wanna figure out how'd ya get here
But the though got cut by nature
find the bathroom the gut got anger
Here it comes can't avoid it
ain't the first time throwin up in this strange toilet
Anyone else would leave but
you crawled back to the bed and fell back asleep"

9.5/10

9.Yesterday

This is my favorite song. It's about Slug thinking he saw someone he knew the other day. I'm not gonna spoil who it actually is so listen to the song.

"And when you left, I didn't see it comin'
I guess I slept, it ain't like you was runnin'
You crept out the front door slow
And I was so self-absorbed I didn't even know
And by the time I looked up it was booked up
Put it all behind you, the bad and the good stuff"

10/10

10.Guarentees

This song is about dealing with the stress of Job and trying to make enough for your family.

"My cup ain't close to filled up
We trying to build up so we can have enough
And when I finally get the color
There won't be nothing left to paint on
My friend tried to kill himself to the same song"

9/10

11.Me

This song is about Slug's life growing up. Great song and great storytelling once again.

"Started noticing girls, but they wouldn't pay him any mind
And if they ever did, he got nervous
You shoulda seen him practice on his hand for his first kiss
Even though he was too young to hunt and gather
Hungry puppy had to learn how to front and swagger"

9/10

12.Wild Wild Horses

This is about loving a girl and not having the love returned. This song has one of my favorite Chorus' on the cd.

"everything is all i have to give you
and im afraid it aint enough
and your not so young that you believe me
just because i say its love
and even if they come to steal you tomorrow
i'll know my smile was yours
go ahead and chase your dreams and your freedom
run run wild wild horses
you cant tame these horses
you cant tame these horses
no you cant tame these horses
you cant tame these horses"

9.5/10

13.Can't Break

This song is about peer pressure and not being able to stray away from it.

"If they buy it for you how you not gonna drink it?
If they fry it for you how you not gonna eat it?
If they throw it to you how you not gonna hold it?
Touch it taste it love it and f**k with it a moment?"

8/10.

14.The Waitress

This song is about a guy who likes this waitress. Another great story telling track. This song also has a nice twist at the end.

"You're angry with your life, not a stranger to the fight
I bet you hate every man that you date
And you're probably addicted to all types of escape
You take it out on me that you're all alone
When you know you got your own closet full of hollow bones
Watch the tone when you speak to old folks
I'm grown, just trying to get out of this Minnesota cold."

9/10

15.In Her Music Box

This song is about Slug's daughter. Really great song to end the album.

"She had a bad dream in the back seat
The same one as yesterday, the same one as last week
Surrounded by her favorite favorites,
Elmo, barbie, her purple baby blanket
And that little match box looks just like dads car
It's fast on the lever, pretends it's nascar
It jumps over elmo cause it can fly that far
With daddy in the front seat frontin' like a rapstar"

9.5/10

Overall this is a great album. I love albums with tons of story telling. It really keeps you interested through each listen. I really need to listen to some more Atmosphere. Anyone have any recoomendations on what cd I should listen to next?

Overall Score:

9/10

----Music Videos---

"Guarentees"



"You"



"Shoulda Known"



"Glasshouse"



---Bonus Tracks---

Here are the two i-Tunes Bonus Tracks.

[http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5NLO6JBD]

16.Vanity Sick
17.Keyboard

Purchase the Album:

Amazon
BestBuy
FYE

Previous Top 5 of 2008 Reviews:

Pacewon & Mr. Green - The Only Color that Matters is Green

Flo Rida - Mail on Sunday

Kanye West - 808's and Heartbreaks

Up next is Nas - Untitled.

No comments:

Post a Comment