Monday, January 19, 2009

Album Review : Pacewon & Mr. Green - The Only Color that Matters is Green (Top 5 of 2008)

Finally the first album review of my Top 5 of 2008 is here! For my
first review I had to review one of the cds that fell under
everyone's radar. This album is of course Pacewon & Mr. Green - The
Only Color That Matters Is Green. It's an album featuring New Jersey
rapper Pacewon and new producer Mr. Green. This easily goes down as the best produced Pace album to date.



1. Four Quarters

This is the opening track of the album. It starts off with an intro
that sums up the whole cd.

"You're black, I'm white, this is green. When making a business
decision, the only color that matters is green."

This song is about making money as well as how it is in the hoods of
New Jersey. It's a Great opening song. When I first heard this song I
knew this album was going to be something special.

"Generic canned goods
free cheese and food stamps
people run in the street like they in boot camp
pigs on patrol hoes on the stroll
the clockers outside on the block aint wearing gold"

9/10.

2. Children Sing

This song is easily one of my favorites from the cd. Mr. Green throws
in a sample of Jewish kids singing. I remember him saying he made
this beat to show people his background.

"Before I pull up and park and bust in your apartment
Ima just perm my hair like Al Sharpton
And get a picket sign to protest your flow next
Your little pussy rhymes need kotex."

Pace spits his witty rhymes all over this track and it fits with the
beat very well.

9.5/10.

3. The Eye Of A Needle

This track is a laid back track with a nice piano loop. Pace is
talking about turning time back and treating people better than he
had.

"Its been a long time coming
I've seen a lot of evil
Felt a lot pain
and I've lost a lot of people
Did a couple things that I really didnt need to
Hurt a couple people that I really didnt mean to
If I could turn time back I would treat em regal
Matter of fact I'd treat everybody equal
Then my world might just be so peacefull
Then I wouldn't view it through the eye of a needle"

8/10.

4. I Need Money

This is my favorite track off the CD! The beat is absolutely insane.
Mr. Green did a great job with it. I love how it changes during the
chorus and when Pace raps. Pace raps over it perfectly. This song is
all about needing money and getting it.

"Swiss bank accounts
Instead of Wachovia
Chauffeurs picking my homies up
My mother got a castle like a queen
And I'm riding Like a gangsta with a lean
Ridin like a gangsta with a dream
Called the Wom
Switch that from Warm to August
To being mad rich number one on the forbes list
With all this bread stacked up enormous
Money earned from a flawless performance"

10/10.

5. Let a Shot Go

This beat reminds me of something T.I. would spit over. It actually
kinda reminds me of that Song with Cam, Juelz, and T.I. called
Royalty. I love it. Pace just keeps going in on this.

"The chamber of a 38 snub nose danger
The only one that could save ya is the savior
Crucified on the cross Born in a manger
I coulda seen you grow up you still a stranger
You like a first aid cadet and I'm a major
I'm like a satellite dish and you a pager"

9/10.

6. Who I Am

This track is about Pace reminiscing about his past as well as Hip
Hop's past. I like tracks like this. It helps a person know how times
were before they were born or into hip hop.

"Drinkin pina coladas from sunny dale farms
I used to back spin and pop lock my arms
style and culture molded the man
just like some putty that you hold in your hand"

8/10

7. Hip Hop

Before the album even came out I had the liberty of listening to
three songs from it. They were "Children Sing," "Eye of a Needle,"
and "Hip Hop." Shoutout to Mr. Green for letting me peep these before
a lot of people did. I really appreciated that. This was my favorite
of the three. I remember promoting the hell out of the music video
when it first came out. It's still in my signature on all the forums
I go to as "Best Hip Hop Video of the Year." The chorus samples MC
Shan saying "Hip Hop was set out in the dark they used to do it out
in the park" I remember hearing this track and imagining how great
this cd was going to be. This song is all about hip hop not being
what it used to. I can identify with this in many ways.

"Raise the banner
MC's its time for you to man up, Cock ya hammers,
but instead of bustin off slugs we use grammar
Rappers better dip like Juelz Santana
Cause rappers nowadays are weak they want glamor
while real mcees got more gifts than santa
chillin like a bat in waynes manor
It aint fair that we get to climb the same ladder"

"Your rhymes are weak
I don't mean to insult ya
Your an embarrassment to the culture
So I don't want you representing me
Your not ready mentally friends with the enemy
but I'm the remedy quick as a centipede
my own posse like its freaking 10 of me"

"Locked up behind bars
I throw on my hiking boots and climb charts
All from the skills I got I stay true to it
You wanna take hip hop and neuter it
I wanna take hip hop and tutor it
Update all the rap heads new to it
If i'm lonely add my freaking crew to it
Write a jam and all my people move to it"

10/10.

8. Childhood (feat. Cymarshall Law, Mary Lou, & Kosha Dillz)

This is another track about pace reminiscing about his past. It
features two other rappers Mr. Green had produced for in the past.
Everyones verses were on point. I really liked Cymarshalls voice
because it was very unique.

I love Kosha Dillz verse on this song.

"I'm watchin New Jack City
Dreams of holding them hammers
I asked my momma for a sandwich
peanut butter bannana
She had to throw the jelly out
kids is acting jeally now
Cops tell my celly now
Them hatas tryin to sell me out"

8.5/10

9. So Straight

This song starts off with a story about Pace talking about his past
with girls. It also deals with him talking about his past and where
he is at now in his life. I love the chorus on this song pretty
complicated. It's almost a tongue twister at times. We don't usually
see those nowadays.

"I'm so straight my life is ok
Fruits, vegetables, champagne and OJ
Piff, cigarettes, little chick that go both ways
Me and my crew just lamping the whole day
Eatin shrimp pumpin the Old J's
Nas, Redman KRS, and Nicole Wray
Keisha Cole, Old Algero Tapes
Like I said before little brother I'm so straight"

8.5/10

10. Won on Won

Every Pace album has had a song with "Won" somewhere in the title.
This song continues the tradition. This song is about Pace asking a
girl for a little "One on One" time.

"Your more hotter thant he second of June
the sun shines when you step in the room
I'm like yoooo
I don't wanna sound like a jerk
But you give me butterflys like the first day of work
And the thought of losing you is like a wound it hurts
Had me feelin more scareder than a hooker in church"

8/10

11. She Be So Cold

This is probably my second favorite song on this cd. Mr. Green kills
it with that White Stripes sample from the song "The Denial Twist".
This song is about Pace meeting a girl and what happens.

"She asked did I have a girl and I was like eheh
Na ma you kidin if I did have a girl I would be true
Standin by her side not here talkin to you
Then she said I was sleeping
she said mad dudes out here claim the same thing but be creeping
I said not me though I'm so sick of sad love songs i'm like Ne-yo
Lookin for a leo
And If you not a leo then don't be a meano
My heart is like a lock and you got the key yo"

10/10.

12. The Joker

Here is the track that I couldn't wait to hear. Pace had been
mentioning it in various interviews. This was the Eminem diss song.
This is his third diss song to him. Pace really feels that Em shoulda
helped him out more than he did. I agree that Em was stupid in not
doing so. Alot of people were saying that this was a really weak diss
but I really enjoyed it.

"Whos the rude dood with the tude is it you
I heard you been in rehab is it true
cause thats my little vision of you is it screwed
a vision where I take your spot is it crewd
What freakin set you claim is it blue
The freakin hate that you feel towards me is it new"

9/10

Overall this was a really amazing album. Mr. Greens beats vary
greatly by track. None of them sound the same at all. He is one of
the best up and coming producers. Pace Won has tons of subject matter
and witty rhymes that make this cd worth listening to over and over.

Final Score:

9/10

Music Videos

Hop Hop



Eye of a Needle



Children Sing



I Need Money



Purchase the album at:

HipHopSite (Digital Download)

Underground Hip Hop

Amazon

i-Tunes

MYSPACE


---Bonus Track---

Here is a Bonus Pace track that leaked like 3 or 4 months before the album was out.

Pacewon - The Chase

[http://www.zshare.net/audio/543873648440f3cc/]

No comments:

Post a Comment